Credit: Michael Fajardo - Flickr
Construction will start this summer on the $97.5 million North I-25 Express Lanes project—from 120th Avenue to Northwest Parkway/E-470. Expected to wrap up in winter 2018 the project will continue the I-25 Express Lanes project which is expected to increase safety, capacity, and user choice.
- Add capacity and ultimately provide the choice of a reliable trip.
- Improve safety and help reduce rear-end collisions—the most predominant corridor crash type.
- Increase inside shoulder width from 4 feet to 10 feet, providing much-needed width for crash avoidance maneuvers and a safer refuge area for stalled vehicles. Concrete barrier collisions are the second-most common crash type along the mainline I-25 study corridor.
- Install an auxiliary lane along northbound I-25 to connect the 136th Avenue on-ramp to the 144th Avenue off-ramp, which will help drivers merge more comfortably between the two interchanges.
- Improve driving conditions by resurfacing the roadway.